We really do live in one of the most delectable regions of Sydney. It’s fair to say we can blame all those award winning, creative chefs that have made the Inner West home, for the expansion our waist lines and awakening of our taste buds with all of their amazing culinary creations.
So this list was pretty hard to refine, but in the essence of keeping it short and simple, here are six (because we couldn’t stop at five) of our favourite local Christmas delights you need to quickly order to make your table the envy of all family and friends this Christmas. To make it easy, we’ve put links to their sites at the end:
- Feather and Bone – Marrickville – We love them because they ethically source their produce, the animals are free range and have none of that gross stuff in them. There’s a full range of hams, turkeys, marinated sous vide turkey breast, geese and jumbo Sommerlad heritage chickens. You may want to get onto this quickly as they have a habit of selling out fast so if you haven’t ordered yours yet.
- Flour drum – Newtown – Christmas isn’t just about the kids. Flour Drum has handcrafted ‘Adults-Only’ Fruit Mince Pies. They are big, bold, boozy and indulgent (just how we like them). There is a less boozy version if you’re the nominated driver on the day.
- Cookie Queen N Kitsch’n – Stanmore – a few years ago my son and I were taught the art of decorating a gingerbread house by Traci, the Queen behind Cookie Queen N Kitsch’n. A long standing Christmas tradition in Traci’s house, she shares an easy way for us non bakers with a gingerbread house kit which you can buy direct from her on line. It’s now a tradition in our home too.
- Cow and the Moon – Enmore – For a pudding with a difference Cow and Moon has a Gelato Christmas pudding to keep you chilled on Christmas day. Choose from traditional pudding flavour with a bit of chocolate and vanilla or a sorbet pudding of black currant blueberry, mango and lemon.
- Adora Handmade Chocolates – Newtown and Earlwood – when you think your pants can’t stretch any further surely it’s time for Adora Chocolates baby Christmas puddings, deliciousness coated in dark chocolate.
- Saga Enmore – for the piece de resistance – you will be the envy of all the family when you turn up with this feast for the eyes. Andy Bowdy has drawn inspiration from the “boozed up bowls of custard, madeira cake, multi coloured aeroplane jelly and whipped cream that nan used to serve up.” and called it “Nana Trusses’ Trifle”. It’s easily transportable if you’re heading out of the Inner West (gasp) for the day.
If your taste buds are calling out for any of these, the links are below and Christmas is only 13 days away so we suggest you click on them today!
We wish for you the most delectable, indulgent and happiest christmas of all. Share your Inner West Christmas #myinnerwestchristmas.
Blake and Annika