05 May 12 ways to spoil mum in iso and support local Inner West businesses at the same time
Mother’s day is fast approaching and with that horrid “Covid” lurking out and about supporting our local businesses and shopping from the safety of our own homes is by far the best way to go this year.
I’ve been scouring Inner West businesses and have discovered some amazing gift ideas that I thought would be rude not to share. So here is a list of 12 gifts you can spoil mum with iso style and as a bonus support someone from an Inner West business at the same time.
1. Mother’s Day Spritz Hamper from Continental Deli in Newtown – because let’s face it, every mum needs one of these to get through home schooling right now!
2. An indoor plant from Marrickville’s Plant Girl – as they say “people, plants and pets are the souls of the home”. Plant Girl’ also delivers to anywhere in Sydney.
3. Ultra elegant playing cards from Jim and Jane. Spend time playing cards with mum this Sunday using this beautiful deck from Annandale based Jim and Jane. If cards isn’t her thing check out their online store to discover the most beautiful array of jewellery, clothing and home-wares. This is definitely one of my favourite places to find gifts locally.
4. A limited edition Ramen bowl from Rising Sun Workshop in Newtown. Winter and Ramen go hand in hand, especially when we have one of Sydney’s best ramen places on our door step. These bowls have been beautifully crafted by Inner West’s Hands Head Heart who design and create the most gorgeous porcelain dinnerware.
5. A porch portrait session with Stephen Blake Photography We’ll all look back on this one time with mixed emotions so capture this moment in our life and book local photographer Stephen Blake for an isolation portrait session of your family on your front porch.
6. A unique cushion or throw from Shibori in Stanmore. Perfect for snuggling as we head into the winter months. Shibori’s Pepa and Karen are also selling online tutorials so we can try the art of shibori ourselves during lock down.
7. A good read from Newtown’s Better Read than Dead. This has to be the friendliest bookstore in the Inner West and their gift wrapping is fantastic! The team at Better Read than Dead is always happy to help with recommendations.
8. A cotton and satin mask, the most useful fashion accessory of the times. Leave the surgical masks for the frontline and let mum out of iso wearing one of these by Marrickville tattooist Megan Oliver.
9. A hand crafted and painted ceramic vase by Casa Adams in Dulwich Hill. I discovered the beautiful work of Araceli Adams when I got lost down the Instagram rabbit hole recently. This Terraced House vase is perfect for that bunch of Mother’s day flowers.
10. A Sally Mustang yoga matt for all those zoom yoga sessions. This one is from Hypmotive Hub in Marrickville. If you’re looking for something totally unique and want to support local Australian and Inner West creatives Hypmotive Hub is where you should head. Renee and Jake have a focus on the story behind the creatives they sell wares for and they’ve created an online store during COVID.
11. Name a candle after mum with Hunter Candles in Newtown – a nice smelling home is more important than ever right now and Hunter Candles is perfect for that. You can order order mum her own candle with her name on it, gift a limited edition brighten up box or even pre-order her a candle a month to stay in the good books all year.
12. A letterpress card from Lovely Paper based in Camperdown. And finally for the paper lovers what better treasure than to write a beautiful message to mum in an equally beautifully crafted card?
We hope you find something great for mum. I’ve actually written this as a big wish list for Blake :-). Let’s hope he takes the hint! Here’s me and my kids below.