18 Aug 9 gift ideas for your Inner West dad this Father’s Day
Here’s Blake in full dad mode. It’s one of my all time favourite photos of him and the kids. He loves to play tricks on them and then tell them he’s allowed because “it’s in the daddy rule book”.
With the day we celebrate dads (and their bad jokes) approaching I’ve been scouring Inner West businesses for some special dad love.
Our community is absolutely full of some of the most creative people around and I’ve discovered everything from a new range of Australian undies – designed by a Marrickvillian to the funkiest multi purpose fire pod and everything in between.
Why not get dad something super cool and totally Inner West this Father’s Day? Here are 9 of our favourite ideas:
1. An outdoor fire pod – by Speedmetal Engineering. Metal fabricator Dean Roach of Stanmore has designed what I would say is the coolest outdoor firepod around. Don’t worry that the weather is warming up, simply fill the pod with ice and booze for a balmy summer session in your backyard.
2. A wet plate portrait session with Adrian Cook – definitely one of our most creative Inner West photographers, Adrian creates timeless, nostalgic and unique portraits using a photographic technique from the 1850’s – the wet plate collodion process. Adrian’s even running a special offer for Father’s Day – quote FD2020 when purchasing and receive a 25% discount. These images are a beautiful keepsake. Here’s one we had taken of our kids.
3. Some craft brew love. Considering we live in the craft brewery capital of Australia any beer drinking dad would surely love something from one of our Inner West craft breweries. They sell a heap of man approved stuff from beer to beanies to bottle openers and books and many let you build your own case of booze so dad can taste them all. Check out Young Henry’s, Batch Brewing, Willie the Boatman, Grifter, Philter
4. A wall worthy sport’s fanatic print. Stanmore local Lynn from Fanfare Prints believes your passion for sports can be displayed in the home without compromising on style. These super stylish sport based prints will please dad and look great front and centre in your home. They have a heap of designs for all different sporting codes and teams so head to their site and check them out.
5. A body surfing handplane by WAW in Nauti Studios, Stanmore. The WAW BadFish is a bodysurfing handplane made from recycled ocean plastics collected directly from The Great Barrier Reef, in fact it has the equivalent of one whole shopping bag full of plastic waste recycled within it and even won the National Geographic’s Defy Plastics campaign, how cool is that? Dad can now bodysurf, clean the ocean and support a fellow Inner Westie all at the same time.
6. Marrickville’s newest men’s underwear range by Undicloth. Look after dad’s most precious (ahem) treasures with a new pair or two of undies. Designed by Stephen in Marrickville and made in Australia, these undies are organic and fair trade. Undicloth is one of our newest Inner West businesses, launched only this year (yep during a pandemic – now that’s ballsy) and let’s face it, it’s not really Father’s Day without a gift of undies. Undicloth wants you to say thanks to dad with a 20% discount so use the code “fathersday” at the checkout.
7. A monthly wine subscription from P&V Merchants. If dad’s more of a wine man why not set him up with a monthly subscription of hand picked wines by P&V Merchants. They also run regular all things wine type classes so check in on their site for all their offers.
8. A barista course from Black Market Roasters. If dad loves his coffee as much as I do he’ll appreciate a lesson on the art of latte making by one of Enmore’s favourite coffee spots.
9. A boozy sausage making masterclass with Chrissy. What better than learning to make sausages direct from our local Inner West sausage queen Chrissy Flanagan of Sausage Factory fame in Dulwhich Hill? Held on the first Saturday of every month, Chrissy promises 2 hours of fun filled learning as long as you promise to turn up thirsty and hungry!
With so many awesome creatives right here in our own community we hope you find the perfect gift for dad and perhaps play a couple of dad tricks on him this Father’s day.